I am excited to tell you about the launch of 3Da11y.INFO! 3DA11y = 3D A(ccessibilit)Y (there are 11 letters between the A and Y). This is a blog dedicated to contributing to a community effort to share information about the emerging opportunities in the domain of 3D Accessibility.
I am a PhD student at the University of Colorado Boulder and was inspired to further develop the 3Da11y initiative after a collaborative forum led by Benetech in June 2015. During this event, a group of students, makers, assistive technology specialists, teachers of the visually impaired, librarians, and museum representatives gathered to discuss the emerging opportunities spanning the fields of 3D printing technology and services, accessible education, tactile learning modalities, and library and museum services.
I participated in this forum as a representative from the University of Colorado and shared my experience with 3D accessibility. Over the past two years I have been working on the Tactile Picture Book Project to understand the opportunities and challenges of designing 3D printable, accessible tactile pictures.
Benetech’s 3D Printing and Education Forum marked a new era in the domain of accessible media by giving us an opportunity to build a community of participation. During the forum, we collectively landed on a set of common objectives (that have been in the air for quite some time) that we will use to drive the community’s work forward:
- Developing technical standards for the use of 3D printers in accessible education
- Developing curriculum to support all students use of 3D fabrication technologies
- Developing guidelines for how to manage 3D printable digital asset
- Developing mechanisms to measure the success within the community
- Creating shared resource lists
In the upcoming months, I will be working with my collegues to continue the momentum of the Benetech forum and help catalyze a culture of participation around 3D Accessibility through the 3Da11y.info blog.
Are you working on 3D accessible media? If so, I’d love to hear from you. Please contribute blog posts by sending an email to contact@3Da11y.info
- September 30th, 2015- Designing Noah’s Ark, by Caleb Hsu
- October 14th, 2015- Reverse Engineering the Tactile Experience, by Jeeeun Kim
- October 28th, 2015- Tactile Constellations, by Claudia Dauden
- November 11, 2015- 3D Printing as a Medium for Information, by Tom Yeh
- Future: Please share your ideas with us!